Building a successful tech for good product (or service!) is a complex and chaotic process.
You’re trying to design and build a thing that people want to use, that makes a difference to their lives and that has a fighting chance of generating an income when your funding runs out. It takes a strong and unwavering focus to make it succeed. I know this from experience.
Folks like CAST and Bethnal Green Ventures run accelerator programmes to help charities and social enterprises with the best ideas. But what if you can’t access one of these?
That’s where I come in.
Make your Tech for Good… tech that lasts
Since 2010 I’ve been helping charities and social enterprises use tech to create profound and measurable social impact. I’ve helped them raise funding, build award winning products, then monetise and sustain them. The most successful social care one has just gone international. I’ve even written a book about it.
I do this through mentoring, capacity building and business development services delivered remotely or alongside you.
Drop me in at any stage in your journey and I can:
- Make sure your project is building user, social and economic value (if you neglect any of these strands then it will fail).
- Help you identify hidden points of customer value, articulate them and find a business model that works.
- Develop you a revenue generation strategy, and tactics, that align with your business model.
- Make sure you’re asking the right questions, and capturing the right data.
- Help you blend data and gut instinct to make the right decision.
- Help you identify and prioritise the next actions needed for the best chance of success.
- Keep you focused on the things that matter most, when plans shift or the unexpected happens.
Mixed methods to suit your needs
I work in a bespoke way depending on where you are on your journey. Sometimes this can be light touch, providing guidance and critical feedback at key points, and sometimes more hands on e.g. when you need to grow the abilities of your whole team or to make the most of a funding opportunity. However we work together I’ll always offer you gentle guidance, helpful challenge and fearless support.
My work draws on lean and agile methodologies and uses service design techniques and different business modelling methods. Most of all I use my experience and knowledge of the tech for good journey to help you stay focused and on track.
Specific deliverables to suit your needs
Alongside mentoring and coaching these are some of the specific tasks I deliver:
- Prepare a funding bid or script a video pitch
- Facilitate a session on your business model canvas
- Implement a build-measure-learn approach to business modelling
- Plan and guidance to test your potential business models
- Identify a core value proposition and powerfully articulate it
- Identify the intersection points of your product’s social and financial value and turn it into a business plan
- Map a customer journey to identify revenue generation opportunities
- Develop a service blueprint to identify customer pain points and sales opportunities
- Develop a sales strategy suited to selling into the public or third sector
- Develop a content strategy to build your audience
- Prototype a sales pipeline
- Produce empathic, direct sales content
- Develop a plan for scaling your project into a business
The specific tool or methods we use will depend on your project’s development stage and your objectives.
A price to suit your budget
Chances are your budget will be limited. No problem. We can create a package to suit.
Bring your challenge to the table
Get a free 30 minute consultation call.
I mostly work remotely, using skype and online tools. Working this way gives you the best value as it helps you move quickly and keeps costs down.
However, if you want maximum input then I can also work from your site, generating extra value for your whole team.
Test this out quickly. Set up a call. No preparation necessary, just bring a problem you’re grappling with. It could be anything from how to raise initial funding to scaling your product.